Very basic question about gnucash

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:44:34 EST 2015

On 2/20/2015 11:26 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Melvin Billik <mbillik at charter.net> writes:
>
>> O.K. I have a financial spreadsheet that I created and use to track my
>> entire financial situation. It has many stocks and mutual funds listed, as
>> well as other items (value of home, cars, other local savings accounts,
>> etc.). The purpose is just to give me a snapshot of my net worth.
>>

>> But it is a pain to update as I have to look up each stock/fund and enter
>> the latest price. The spreadsheet then calculates the total value and adds
>> things up. I have a separate section for cash items, stocks/fund in regular
>> accounts, stocks/funds in IRAs, and stocks/funds in Roth IRAs, as well as
>> debits (eg: mortgage balance, credit card balances, etc.).
>>

>>  I have a separate spreadsheet to do capital gains/losses, so that’s not
>> essential.
>>

>> Which Quicken will do the job. I want to be able to enter things like my
>> house value, furnishings value, car values, credit card debts, etc. But I
>> want the spreadsheet to automatically update my stocks, bonds, mutual
>> funds, and keep them separate (eg: IRAs, ROTH IRAs, etc.). The spreadsheet
>> should be able to find and d/l the latest prices for my stocks, bonds, and
>> mutual funds.
>>

>> Which Quicken do all that? Again, it does not have to do capital
>> gains/losses, but if it does, that’s fine too.
>>

>> More importantly, will gnucash do that (Quicken is not cheap!)
>>
>> Oh, I use W7
> Sure.  GnuCash has a price quote grabber (which does require you to run
> an installer before it will work).  Then GnuCash can grab the quotes for
> all your stocks and update its price database.  It wont to it
> "automatically", you still need to "click the button".
>
> Everything else just sounds like basic accounting, which GnuCash does
> well.
>
> Enjoy,
>
>> Mel
> -derek

I just had a very nice experience when I installed GnuCash 2.6.5 from
the GetDeb backport repository (I think) into Linux Mint Rebbecca, I
included the common files and documentation, and the Stock Quote
retriever worked right out of the box, so to speak, with no extra
fiddling around.

Thanks to all involved!

David C