Canada Pension Plan

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Feb 20 11:38:11 EST 2015

This is really just a special case or a more general accounting problem,
namely, contingent assets and contingent liabilities. The problem with
these assets or liabilities is that they depend on events which might or
might not occur, and so have no well defined Balance Sheet value.

If looking at a formal financial report done by auditors, we would see
information about "contingencies" appearing as note in the report. In
other words, notes that explained that there were things, possibly big
things, not appearing in the Balance Sheet.

Back to the original question, how to treat the payments into the
government program. I'd treat that as an expense for now,with no balance
sheet asset in exchange. Your "books"are (or should be) just part of
your financial planning. The calculations for that should be using tools
made for that purpose, not an accounting package.

To forestall questions, on a personal level, an example of a contingent
liability might be "co-signer on  a loan".  You wouldn't expect to see
that on your Balance Sheet but it is of significance to your overall
financial situation.

Michael D Novack