Setting a car loan

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 19:12:24 EST 2015

Regarding amortization tables: My experience with my bank is that they were
reluctant to make predictions about the outstanding balance or amount of
interest paid for each payment. It may be that the loan officer didn't
understand my request (perhaps I didn't have the necessary vocabulary) but
I think the reality is they don't like making predictions. It's easy to
write a program to run every business day to update the loan status (i.e.,
if the date is on or after the date when we're supposed to loot Charlie's
account and we haven't looted it yet this month, then loot it right now and
calculate how much of the payment goes to interest and how much to
principal reduction). It's much harder to write a program to predict those
things in the future because of holidays.

The problem isn't just one of computation; new holidays could be introduced
during the lifetime of the loan. E.g., "Family Day" was introduced by
legislation in Saskatchewan in 2007 (
http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/canada/family-day), doubtless without 5
years of lead time for the banks to prepare. That would mess up loan
predictions.

I'm guessing the bank would not want to be held to a prediction, given the
uncertainty of the future. Better just to keep track of how much is owed
and recalculate each payment.  It's easy to develop an approximate
amortization table with a little bit of math or a calculator or a
spreadsheet or whatever. But because of rounding errors and irregularities
in the payment dates, those tables will be off by a small amount, which
could undermine confidence and even lead to lawsuits.

The bank will, on the other hand, comply quickly if you ask for a statement
of account which gives info about past activities.

Perhaps my experience is peculiar to Canada. I've never understood, for
instance, why electronic banking in Canada can't just go on during weekends
and holidays, and why it could take 3 business days (which could be 6
days!) for my electronic bill payments to arrive, even though they depart
instantaneously. I imagine some wizened old bankers in the basement
printing out my payment requests and dropping them in a pneumatic tube ...