Progress in my evolution from Windows

David chrstdvd at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 07:18:52 EST 2015

I have been learning to use gnucash for about three weeks now.  While reading
and searching for Tutorials I ran across an article describing how to
install Linux Mint on a virtual machine here:
http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/05/how-to-install-linux-mint-as-virtual.html

Well, I did it.  Boy am I pleased with how it works. I have read all the
tutorials that come on the Welcome screen and become accustomed to the
Terminal, but have a long way to go to be proficient.  I decided I will burn
the ISO to DVD and install Mint Cinnamon as Duel Boot.  I want to see how
well that works and if it is even faster when installed independently.
Eventually, I will over write the system as stand alone on the computer, as
I feel comfortable and make sure, I do not loose any personal data and the
machine drivers will remain in the Linux install.

I used the Software Manager and downloaded GnuCash onto the Mint machine and
I also installed Chrome, my favorite browser.  I could not figure out how to
get my data file for gnucash from Windows to Mint, so I uploaded it to
Dropbox and then downloaded it into the Mint Machine.

I am a Freecell playing nut, and can not find that it is available for
Linux. When I search for it there are three apps listed but I think they do
not play the game, they seem to be just for coders to tinker with.

GnuCash works way better in the Linux environment, has different icons, the
reports are easier to customize, I just can not say how pleased I am.

I recommend that anyone new to GnuCash on a Windows or MAC give this a try.
You will not be disappointed.