Invoicing and expenses query

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sun Feb 22 19:27:30 EST 2015

> What about your profit on those?
> The majority would not charge out at the purchase price.
>
> I don't know of an automated way to do this, but would be using an
> unposted invoice to keep a record.

We need to take business questions at face value because we don't know
the nature of the business. The comment about "profit on stuff purchased
for the customer" is an example of that. It depends very much on the
nature of the business, what is usual and customary, and what is in the
contract.

For example, in a "cost plus" contract (the bid is for doing the work,
materials for whatever they cost added to the bill) be in big trouble
sneaking* a profit on the materials. If I were designing a system for
somebody, and they didn't have extra hardware resources for the testing
phase, rental or purchase of computer resources would be part of the
contract, but I would have to charge that to them at cost.

Michael D Novack, FLMI

* That would be by "kick backs"from the materials suppliers since could
be expected to be required to produce receipted invoices for the materials