Invoicing and expenses query

Antonio Roberts antonio at hellocatfood.com
Mon Feb 23 07:26:31 EST 2015

> What about your profit on those?
> The majority would not charge out at the purchase price.
I'm not making any profit on these.

To give some context, I'm making an interactive installation for a
gallery. I'm receiving a fee for my time on the project and then have
to charge them the cost of the materials that I purchased. So far this
has been a Raspberry Pi, SD card and a HDMI cable.

I don't need to worry about things like VAT etc, just the actual cost
that I paid for the materials.

So, in this case, would I record the expenses as I buy them and then
add them again to an invoice, or only input them on the invoice?

And, hypothetically speaking, if I was to do the latter what would I
do if they didn't pay? I would still have bought equipment.

I don't know if there's a "proper" way to do this so asking for advice
based on experience.

Antonio

antonio at hellocatfood.com
http://www.hellocatfood.com