Reconciliation

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:12:31 EST 2015

This is a bug that has now been fixed; the fix will show up in the next
release. (Thanks to Andy for finding it and reporting it, even though it
appears he did so inadvertently.)

As to whether you need to uncheck that option in File->Properties to see
the numbers in the reconcile window the answer is: it depends.

It depends on how that option was set when a particular transaction was
entered into gnucash (whether via the user interface, that is a register
screen, or via some kind of file import).

If the option was not checked when a transaction was entered, then
selecting the option and opening the reconciliation window will make the
number not appear in the reconciliation window. If you close the
reconciliation window, de-select the option, and then re-open the
reconciliation window, the number will appear for that transaction and for
all other transactions that were entered with the option not selected.
(This seems to be what happened for Andy.)

If the option was checked when a transaction was entered, and is selected
when the reconciliation window is opened, the number does not appear as it
should: that is the bug which has been fixed for the next release.
De-selecting the option will not make the number appear for this case. When
you get the next release and upgrade, you will see the number. Until then,
you unfortunately have to do your reconciliations by using just the amounts
and dates.

I'll also note that if the option is set one way and some transactions are
entered, then the option is changed and more transactions are entered, you
will have a mixed case. (For Andy, if you entered or imported any
transactions after setting this option and before un-setting it, you will
be in this situation and you will only see some of the transaction numbers.)

Alex