Invoicing and expenses query

Alice Lee alee212007 at satx.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 16:41:22 EST 2015

I am an accountant but I have not used invoicing in Gnucash.  Putting the purchases into a receivable account, a balance sheet asset account, will ensure that you bill the customer for the items.  You need a completed entry so your cash or bank account will be accurate.  Does a customer invoice in Gnucash put the amount of the invoice into A/R in the general ledger automatically?  If it does, you would be creating more than one invoice so you would want to just keep track of it in the general ledger (accounts receivable) and bill when the job is done.  If it does not, you could keep a running list on an invoice and not complete it until the job is completed.  You are going to have to list the items twice, in either case, to keep the cash/bank account accurate and to only bill the customer once.