GnuCash: how to enter the purchase of a corporate bond with accrued interest

Larry Evans cppljevans at suddenlink.net
Sat Feb 28 06:31:35 EST 2015

On 02/27/2015 12:31 PM, Alice Lee wrote:
> The accrued interest is not an expense.  It is a receivable which will be
> zeroed out when the interest is received.  The balance is income.

Hi Alice.

I'm afraid I still do not understand.  I've tried to use such an
InterestReceivable account as you suggest; however, I can't get
it to work (as indicated by the screen shots in my private
email to you).

Could you possibly provide more concrete information about how
to accomplish this?  In the example screenshots I sent to
you, the balance at year end is $1010 instead of the expected $1005.
I even tried making the InterestReceivable type Accounts Receivable;
however, that didn't help either.

A concrete example(screen shots or even a .gnucash file)
would help greatly.

-regards,
Larry