GnuCash: how to enter the purchase of a corporate bond with accrued interest

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 15:13:01 EST 2015

Sat, 28 Feb 2015 05:31:35 <mcs8uo$9ep$1 at ger.gmane.org>  Larry Evans
<cppljevans at suddenlink.net>

>On 02/27/2015 12:31 PM, Alice Lee wrote:
>> The accrued interest is not an expense.  It is a receivable which will be
>> zeroed out when the interest is received.  The balance is income.

>I'm afraid I still do not understand.  I've tried to use such an
>InterestReceivable account as you suggest; however, I can't get
>it to work (as indicated by the screen shots in my private
>email to you).

I haven't seen the private stuff but I think you are now going backwards
rather than forwards.

>Could you possibly provide more concrete information about how
>to accomplish this?  In the example screenshots I sent to
>you, the balance at year end is $1010 instead of the expected $1005.
>I even tried making the InterestReceivable type Accounts Receivable;
>however, that didn't help either.

That is unlikely to work.

>A concrete example(screen shots or even a .gnucash file)
>would help greatly.

I think you were closer to a solution earlier in the thread.  I thought
your message of the 27th in reply to me was the logical end to it as you
had answered your own question.

--
Wm...