Summarizing annual donations to charity

Jim Thompson jthomps6 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 12:57:19 EST 2015

Folks,

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I've added another option below.

Here's some clarification...

Not a massive problem, but thru the year we had 60+ donations to 30+
organizations. With Quicken, it was easy to create a report of "itemized
payees" with details and totals by payee (in this case, charitable
organizations). Having converted from Quicken to GnuCash in early 2014 (and
no intention of using Quicken again), thought there might be a way to
create an equivalent report with GC.

For my case, Jean-David's suggestion was the simplest and best initial
answer.

If we had a much larger volume of data to wrestle, probably creating a more
detailed structure of sub-accounts (for each payee) would be the way to
handle the problem. Certainly not disparaging that method - it's just a
bigger hammer than required by me.

The SQL looks like an industrial-strength solution - likewise more powerful
than what I need, but probably ideal for others.

After looking into GnuCash help, found a solution that meets my needs.
Posting here for others who might be interested.

In GnuCash
- File -> Export -> Export Transactions to CSV
- chose Expense:Charity:Cash Contrib. account for 2014 date range

In LibreOffice Calc
- opened the CSV file
- sorted by Description and Date
- deleted unwanted columns (and later rows)
- Data -> Subtotals (it seems the column with leading $ is not numeric, so
used "To Num." column)

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

Cheers,
Jim