Can I change the behavior of automatically creating an Imbalance-USD account?

gnucash-user at rainbowdreams.com gnucash-user at rainbowdreams.com
Sun Jan 4 10:52:22 EST 2015

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 10:06:32 -0500
Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

> On 1/4/2015 9:34 AM, Patrick Doyle wrote:
> > I would much rather have gnc pop up an error message saying "You
> > can't enter this transaction" than to have it silently create an
> > account for me.
> >
> > Obviously, I've checked the preferences menus and don't see an
> > option for that.  I wonder if there is a way to configure this
> > under-the-hood.

If I remember correctly, gnc behavior changed some number of major
versions ago to silently balancing transactions from popping up an
error message--as the OP (and myself) would like. My finger brains
continue to be tripped up ever since.

> > An alternative, and less preferred solution, would be for me to
> > designate to which account imbalance transactions should be
> > recorded.
> I really think you need to read and reread the basics of double entry
> bookkeeping. Yes what you suggest first (don't allow) is ONE option
> for not being in balance (not specifying an account for some portion
> of the transaction). But most of us would strongly dislike that way
> of handling the problem. What problem? In the middle of entering a
> transaction we realize that we will have to make some change to the
> chart of accounts to finish this transaction correctly. NOW which do
> you prefer? Aborting the transaction so you can go off the make the
> change, or temporarily putting that part into "Imbalance" (letting
> you get the transaction entered), making the change to the account
> tree, and then transferring the item from Imbalance to the correct
> account**.
>
> You want a to designate a different NAME for the account. You don't
> like the name "Imbalance" for "the account where portions of
> transactions go for which we can't yet (or didn't yet) specify the
> correct account?
>
> One of your tasks, when using gnucash, is to make sure you don't end
> up leaving stuff in Imbalance or Orphan.

In my case, Imbalance or Orphan splits are 100% created as a result of
data entry errors. I'd much rather have the error brought to my
attention immediately rather than (sometimes) going back to check.

I might humbly suggest a return to the previous mode where the
unbalanced error dialog allows the choice to:

- create balancing split (handles case with delays in creating accounts)
- return to transaction (data entry error, mistype, etc)
- cancel transaction (throw everything away)

This would enforce proper double entry accounting. A preference to set
the default to automatically create balancing splits might be handy to
keep the current behavior.