HELP!!!

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 6 10:03:15 EST 2015

Hi,

mshires <mshires.wcc at gmail.com> writes:

> LOL!  Awesome!  I notice that it mirrors the mailing list Gnucash Users.

It does indeed.  It literally *is* a mirror of the mailing list.

> Two silly questions:
> Can the forum replace the mailing list to free up my in-box (I go would go
> to the forum to start new threads or to read others) instead of using my
> email, and if so, how?)

No.  The nabble system is an alternate representation of the mailing
list.  It is NOT a forum; it just takes the mailing list and presents it
*like* a forum.  You must still be subscribed to the mailing list for
your posts to be sent through immediately; if you are not subscribed
directly to the gnucash lists then your posts will be moderated and
could take a day to make it through.

I do not know if nabble provides a notification service.  If it does
then you could turn off email delivery from the gnucash lists and use
nabble directly, assuming of course you don't want to see the gnucash
list traffic.

I would definitely not consider the gnucash-user list a "high traffic"
list.  The most I've seen is maybe 50 messages in a day, and that's on
the extreme end.  More often it's like 10.  I've been on lists that
receive hundreds a day.  THOSE are high traffic!  But to each her own.

> Why isn't there a link to the forum on the home page index column under
> "support" at gnucash.org?  It is awesome!  For example, I was wondering how
> to delete old books or test files, and in the forum I did a search and
> voila! There was the answer!  I didn't have to email the question on the
> mail list, thus avoiding redundancy!

Because nabble is not a GnuCash service.  It was set up outside our
pervue and the GnuCash team has no control over it.  Since it's not a
gnucash service we don't advertise it.

However I will point out that the official list archives are available
and searchable (by google), so you could have found your answer that
way, too.