QIF import file construction....

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 11 13:26:33 EST 2015

Allan,

Please be sure to CC all your replies back to the list using your
mailer's Reply-To-List or Reply-All functionality.  This allows other
people to see your questions/followups and also help out potentially
faster.

Allan <allanhasmail at gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you Derek,
>
> I figured that out by trial and error. Will the "Type:Bank" line work for any
> account type? i.e. an adjustment of Payroll Liability/Payroll expense, not
> involving a bank check?

No.  You should use the correct "Type" based on the actual account
type.  For example, !Type:CCard for a credit card.

> Also, the signs I had are all wrong. I reversed them.
>
> But GnuCash isn't matching anything and just creates all new accounts for the
> accounts in the splits! --it can't find anything by name at a lower level in
> the higherarchy! Oh no... What's it going to do with 2000 transactions? Will
> it group names to match or deal with each separately?

You have two options here:

1) Modify the categories in your QIF to be the full GnuCash name.  E.g.:
   SExpenses:Shareholder Wages

2) During QIF Import one page will will ask you to map QIF Categories to
   GnuCash Accounts; at this point you can manually map
   e.g. "Shareholder Wages" to "Expenses:Shareholder Wages", or wherever
   it is in your hierarchy.

It sounds like you're doing neither of these, which is why it puts it at
the top-level.

-derek