QIF import file construction....

Allan allanhasmail at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 12:44:31 EST 2015

On 01/11/2015 12:26 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Please be sure to CC all your replies back to the list ...

Apology's, sorry, bone-head move...

> Allan <allanhasmail at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Thank you Derek,
>>
>> I figured that out by trial and error. Will the "Type:Bank" line work for any
>> account type? i.e. an adjustment of Payroll Liability/Payroll expense, not
>> involving a bank check?
> No.  You should use the correct "Type" based on the actual account
> type.  For example, !Type:CCard for a credit card.

This is really unclear. There are types assigned to the QuickBooks
account, GnuCash account and QIF file:

QIF types: !Type:Bank !Type:Invst !Type:Cash !Type:Oth A !Type:CCard
!Type:Oth L (!Type:Invoice too?)
Quickbooks account
types:BANK,AR,OCASSET,FIXASSET,AP,CCARD,OCLIAB,LTLIAB,EQUITY,INC,EXP,EXINC,EXEXP
GnuCash account types: Bank,Cash,Asset, Income, Expense, Equity, Credit
Card, Liability, Stock, Mutual Fund, A/Receivable,A/Payable

There's also the mapping which might change the type (a Credit Card to
just a liability) but assuming the straightforward case, there are
missing? types in the QIF: what to do with an income TX? (Not an invoice
into AR) (Quickbooks uses an Undeposited Funds intermediary account so I
have things like this to convert:

"1312","Cash Sale","6/2/2009","57","First Bank",,"1210 · Undeposited
Funds",668.39,""
,,,,"First Bank","Checks, cash","4000 · CONSULTING INCOME","",627.60
,,,,"Minnesota Department of Revenue","Sales Tax","2200 · Sales Tax
Payable","",40.79

or an expense account entry (and matching Liability acct)? Like for FUTA
(Federal Unemployment Tax)

"373","General Journal","2/2/1995",,,,"6050 · FUTA Expense",168.00,""
,,,,,,"2160 · FUTA Payable","",168.00

etc.

Why does the GC import QIF function care about these types anyway? Just
create an imbalance if the mapping is wrong, doesn't balance.

I can't see a path out of the woods here. I'm not finding on the web any
QIF tools for these cases, more for just importing a list of checks like
a bank statement. The OFX format doesn't seem to offer this either. Nor
documentation of how GnuCash in/out interfaces work in enough detail.

Bigger picture: I have sales/inventory data CSV from the Square Android
app, inventory on a spreadsheet, payroll/benefits in a spreadsheet. The
interfaces need to tie it together.

Allan