having trouble installing the Finance Quote update app

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 13 18:35:20 EST 2015

> On Jan 12, 2015, at 2:20 PM, David Richards <drichardsms at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> Dear sir or madame
>
> I have mac osx version 10.6.8 snow leopard I have installed  Xcode from the installation cd with no problems. when I  try and run the Finance Quote update app the terminal window opens and the process starts but hangs at the following point
>
> Warning (usually harmless): 'YAML' not installed, will not store persistent state
> Running make test
> PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
> t/apache-https....skipped
>        all skipped: Live tests disabled; pass --live-tests to Makefile.PL to enable
> t/apache..........skipped
>        all skipped: Live tests disabled; pass --live-tests to Makefile.PL to enable
> t/http-nb.........ok 1/14
>

> and will not go any further
>
> Can you help me

Open another terminal tab (command-T) and type
  ps -a
at the prompt. You’ll see a list like
 PID TTY         TIME CMD
…
4889 ttys001  0:00.12 /usr/bin/perl -w t/http-nb.t
…

The number and the time will be different. Note the number and at the prompt type
  sudo kill -HUP 4889
substituting ‘4889’ with whatever number you have for that line.

The install process in the other tab should resume and in my case Finance::Quote correctly installed. If it doesn’t, try running it one more time; you may have to “un-hang” the www-perl test at the same place in the same way. If it still doesn’t work, write back.

Regards,
John Ralls