Viewing problem

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 23:52:19 EST 2015

On 1/18/2015 9:42 PM, Malcolm Purdy wrote:
> I am a new user still trying to find a personal financial program after
> years of Quicken. I like gnucash but having a problem. I am using it for
> home finances (and frankly its over-qualified) - Linux Mint Rebecca. I
> started using it January 1st. Everything worked ok until something happened
> (don't know what) and I cannot get the checking account entries to show up
> on screen. They are there for the General Ledger but I cannot get any
> entries--they are all hidden behind a blue line. Future entries still
> appear, but not past entries. I have looked through all the possible
> settings, but none appear have been checked off, so am frustrated and
> looking for a point in the right direction.

The General Ledger defaults to only show transactions between a month in
the past and the end of time.  In that view you would need to select
View> Filter by.. and then change the date range to start from an
earlier date.  GnuCash can now remember these settings for future
sessions so be sure to un-check the Save Filter box if you don't want
the filter to be remembered.  The blue line represents today's date and
older transactions are above it in the default sort.

However, most users prefer to view transactions in a bank register view.
Those registers default to show all transactions and can each be
filtered in a similar way.  I use several bank registers and a few
credit card registers simultaneously most of the time.

David C