Unofficial GnuCash Forum

Egbert van der Wal ewal at pointpro.nl
Mon Jan 19 04:17:53 EST 2015

Just to give my opinion on this: I have a preference for a forum to a
mailing list. I can work with a mailing list, but I know many
unexperienced computer users that run away at the thought of a mailing
list. If that is the only option for them to get support they will
probably end up abandoning GnuCash.

However, support of the developers, or at least an active community is
very important to the success of such a forum so I'm unsure on how
effective this would be.

While Hyper Kitty and Nabble are interesting efforts, they do not match
the usability of a forum like PHPBB by a long shot. Layout is
questionable, search functionality is limited and everything in the
layout reminds of the underlying mailing list. Such as the grouping by
date. Why do I have to click a year and a month to see the threads, for
example? I would just like to see the most recent discussions,
regardless of when they took place.

Forum software is also always capable of sending notifications when
activity occurs on a thread on which you are involved, and I have seen
forum software in which you can reply to the notification in order to
post a reply, mimicking mailing list software. Much like Hyper Kitty in
reverse.

I would be interested to see how active and effective such a forum
would, at least. Thanks for the effort, Mark!

Regards,

Egbert