Automatically move down in reconciliation

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Jan 23 03:01:03 EST 2015

On Friday 23 January 2015 07:16:21 Russell Gadd wrote:
> On 22/01/15 08:09, Maf. King wrote:
> > On Thu 22 January 15 07:34:12 Russell Gadd wrote:
> >> Some time ago Gnucash stopped moving the focus down to the next
> >> entry
> >> when you press spacebar to tick an item in the reconciliation. I've
> >> been waiting in vain for this to be reinstated. Was it deliberate
> >> for
> >> some reason? Can a user choose some setting to get it back?
> >>
> >> Using version 2.6.1 in Linux Mint ("This copy was built from rev
> >> 76cba80+ on 2014-02-19"). Maybe the Minters did this?
> >
> > Hi Russ,
> >
> > This cropped up a few months ago - Geert explained the reason for
> > the change here
> >
> > http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2014-November/056789
> > .html
> >
> > and suggests some workarounds. To my mind, sounds like a useful
> > "feature" has been lost.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Maf.
>
> Thanks for the reference. It's a pity that the poster didn't state a
> more useful case for wanting this facility. Of course reconciling is
> not a matter of "automatically checking off each box as fast as you
> can" but I don't like having to fiddle with positioning the mouse
> accurately many times in a list where it would be much easier to use
> the keyboard. I have to use the mouse too much anyway and I'm
> conscious of RSI so prefer to use the keyboard where possible. The
> facility to use Ctrl-A or highlighting several items and ticking in
> one click isn't particularly useful. As there are control key
> combinations to reconcile and unreconcile it shouldn't be a stretch
> of imagination to create ones which will move down as well. Or
> preferably all you need is a toggle in the options somewhere.

The keyboard shortcut for moving down is hitting the arrow-down key.

So if you prefer to keep away from the mouse (understandably), you can

<Arrow-Down> : will highlight the first entry in the left list. Hit it
multiple times to move down to the first entry you wish to reconcile.
<Space>: to reconcile that entry.
When done with the left list, hit <Tab> to switch to the right list and
again <Arrow-Down> to highlight the first entry. No need to ever use the
mouse or even control key combinations (which are also RSI inducing).

Regards,

Geert