Wondering how to handle > 10 years of .qif data; if mapping changes old transactions; and how to make a new sub account

Michael DeBusk mdebusk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 00:42:09 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 3:10 PM, paula maas <paulamaas at mail.com> wrote:

> 1. Please tell me whether to import the last 10 years of .qif data (it's in
> one file now), or if it would be easier, given that all payees become
> accounts, (and we have already many accounts), to split the data into files
> for each year.

If I were in your position (and I was, when I first started using
GnuCash,) I would start a new set of books as of January 2015, using
the ending balances from Quicken. (For the first three months or so, I
actually kept both Quicken and GnuCash up to date.)

You can, if you like, open a separate set of books with your old data
and import your QIF data into it. Once you get it right, you could
then import your 2015 data into it as well.

I would suggest, for ease of problem-solving, breaking your QIF data
up by year. I've run into tiny mistakes in an exported QIF that took
me a long time to find with only two months' records; I can't imagine
digging through ten years of transactions.

For your other two questions, I will have to defer to the list,as I do
not have GnuCash handy at the moment.

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments