Wondering how to handle > 10 years of .qif data; if mapping changes old transactions; and how to make a new sub account

paula maas paulamaas at mail.com
Fri Jan 23 15:10:59 EST 2015

Hi,

I'm new to GnuCash, and have 3 questions to start.

1. Please tell me whether to import the last 10 years of .qif data (it's in one file now), or if it would be easier, given that all payees become accounts, (and we have already many accounts), to split the data into files for each year.

The reason to keep the accounts all together is to track long term earning and expenses, e.g. to assess the basis of real property, or other investment.

How is this done if I create an archival file for up to 2014, then another each for 2014 & 2015?

2. When you map these payees & categories into accounts, are categories changed for all old transactions as they are imported, or is this only for future downloads?

3. When mapping, I have the opportunity to choose among GnuCash accounts, or create a new account, but how do you create a new subaccount? e.g. I have an account "utilities" with 4 different subaccounts, not including "City Services", how do I add the subcategory "City Services" under the account "Utilities"?

I’m very grateful for your help, and look forward to your response.

Paula