Unofficial GnuCash Forum

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 17:15:13 EST 2015

Sat, 24 Jan 2015 21:20:15
<CAL=0gLuGTXTtShn8jdc6ufFs4fCeLdM11QF56rph_Z=ES=+-AQ at mail.gmail.com>
Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com>

>On 24 January 2015 at 20:46, Max Scholefield <maxinvan.ms at gmail.com> wrote:

>> It seems to me that gnucash is the only free, fully functioning accounting
>> system available anywhere in the world,

nope, there are some others

>> I am sure millions of people would
>> want to use it.

You aren't helping

>>However as a non accountant I find that getting
>> understandable information out of this mailing list is like pulling teeth
>> (very difficult).

So your problem is with the list as an exchange of ideas rather than you
having any problem with the software, I'm pleased you made that clear,
it certainly settles some things for me.

>> I would like to be able to to understand even simple
>> concepts (to you) such as splitting transactions, however hard I try I
>> cannot even make that work.

Man walks into shop and says "I'd like a parrot and a twig".  Shop owner
hands both items over, man pays.  Man goes home and records transaction
in accounts.

that is a split transaction if you want to record parrot and twig
purchases separately.  have you tried really simple stuff like that?

>> A forum would give me a proper thread to follow
>> where the answers go straight to my problem,  instead of trying to find a
>> needle in a haysack answer in a convoluted mail form.

I'm not sure I see the point of your argument.  The people that provide
answers to questions aren't going to roll over and ask you to tickle
their tummy so you should sensibly give up bleating or form a sensible
case.

General me, me, me is unlikely to change anyone's minds and may have an
adverse effect.

[Max above, Colin below]

>It sounds as if you may not have 'threaded' view setup in your mail
>viewer.  That keeps the emails in each thread together.
>
>Start a new thread and try to explain what it is you do not understand
>about splitting transactions, if you can.

Unlikely.  My guess is Max has decided it is his right to vote twice on
the Forum issue by using different personas :(

--
Wm...