Loyalty Fund Account

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 16:58:51 EST 2015

On 1/25/2015 9:30 AM, Wm wrote:
> Sun, 25 Jan 2015 14:56:20 <54C50414.1070902 at babrees.co.uk>  Jill Terry
> <jill at babrees.co.uk>
>
> [please use normal quoting]
>
>> Using GnuCash 2.6.5?
>> ?
>> Trying to set up an account to track reward miles.  Looking at 10.2.1 ?
>> User Defined Currencies ?
>> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/currency_acct1.html?
>> ?
>> It states, "The first method is to define a new security, of type ?
>> *FUND*, called RewardMiles. This is pretty straightforward–when you ?
>> create the new *LoyaltyGroupRewardMiles* account, just set the account ?
>> type to *Stock* or *Mutual Fund*, click the Select... button next to
>> the ?
>> *Security/currency:* box, and click New to define a new security of
>> type ?
>> *FUND*."?
>
> So it does.  Strange, XXX and friends have been quiet until I
> mentioned them recently.  Presumably they are there for some use.
>
>> Sounds simple, except that When I create a new account the only
>> account ?
>> type I have is CURRENCY and there is no "New" in the Security/currency ?
>> box either.?
>
> It depends on the point in the account tree you are creating the new
> account under.
>
>> Is this another bug or am I simply being a dumb blonde??
>
> I don't think you are being dumb regardless of hair colour.

Jill,

Before you start to create your security account you need to have the
highlight in the Asset section of the account tree to let GnuCash know
that you are trying to create an asset type of account.  I know that is
not very intuitive nor is it well explained in the help.  I would
suggest putting that account under "Other Assets."

There are two steps to the process, one to create a GnuCash Asset
account to collect the reward miles in, and a step to create the user
defined security.  the security creation step can be done separately or
concurrently with the account creation.

You just gave me the idea that we could probably do something similar to
track mileages for income tax purposes this way too, at least in the
U.S. of A.  We would need separate securities for different reward types
or for different tax purposes such as business miles, charity miles or
medical miles.

David C