50% split

Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 14:25:17 EST 2015

I'll add to these two responses in that your question implies, but doesn't
explicitly state, that you are trying to keep track of all three entities
(the partnership and the two partners) in one gnucash book of accounts
(which corresponds to one gnucash file). This should normally not be done.

Each book of accounts should correspond to one legal entity to which all
the accounts of that book apply. So in the partnership book, as mentioned
in an earlier response, the partners are typically only reflected in the
equity section of the accounts. If you use gnucash to keep track, in
addition, of you own personal accounts, that should be in a separate book
(file) with its own set of accounts. In that book, your share of the
partnership would typically be reflected as an asset and the income and
expense items that flow through the partnership to you for tax purposes
would typically be entered in total corresponding, in the US, to the
information in the K-1 (other tax jurisdictions undoubtedly have similar
documents) coming from the partnerships book. These "flow-through" income
and expense items are then included in your own income and expense
statement (and tax return) and the offsetting entry to them adjusts your
tax basis in the partnership in the asset section of you personal book of
accounts (income items increase your basis, expense and partnership
distributions decrease it).

If you use gnucash to keep track of your partners finances, that would be a
third book of accounts (file).

Alex

.