gnucash doesn't start on Windows 8.1

Joe Vornehm Jr. joe.vornehm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 23:56:36 EST 2015

Never mind, I found it. (After posting, I decided to try using Process
Monitor to look at what the gnucash.exe process was doingjust before
exiting.) I forgot that I had long ago created a junction/reparse point at
C:\Users\<me>\.gnucash that pointed to
C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Roaming\.gnucash. The junction was not removed by the
Win8.1 upgrade, but apparently the target folder was deleted. Then when
gnucash saw that the .gnucash folder "existed" but it failed to create
.gnucash\books, then it exited. Deleting the hard link ("fsutil
reparsepoint delete C:\Users\<me>\.gnucash") solved the problem. Sorry.

Joe