assign 1 payment to different invoices

David Gillam dave at davegillam.org
Thu Jan 29 09:01:05 EST 2015

I may not be doing it correctly, but the following seems to work for me:

3 invoices as described below, 1 payment as described below.  Let's say the payment is check #1234.

Pay invoice 1: $3, check #1234, remaining balance = $2
Pay invoice 2: $2, check #1234, remaining balance = $8
Pay invoice 3: $1, check #1234, remaining balance = $3

Note how the three payments are all the same check number.

I have one customer who routinely pays multiple invoices with one check, so in my case, usually the remaining balance on each invoice is $0.  There are times when the customer doesn't write a check large enough to pay all invoices, so I just apply the amount to pay in full the oldest invoice(s) leaving a partial payment on the newest invoice.  I then notify the customer of the current payment status.

Is there anything wrong with this method?

David
Gillam Data Services, Inc. - Computer Training & Support
dave at davegillam.com | www.davegillam.com | 972-383-9391