I have searched and searched and learned a lot But...

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 11:35:52 EST 2015

Regarding your budget question, there are a couple of features that might
help. First, you don't have to enter an amount for each account for each
month. There should be an "Estimate" button. Highlight the account you want
to estimate and click the "Estimate" button. Choose a date one year before
the start of your budget, change the number of significant digits if you
wish (I use 2), then GnuCash will estimate each month's income/expenses for
that account. You can then modify by hand if you wish. I mostly just
estimate income and expense accounts, but when there are significant
one-way transfers to assets (e.g., pension) or liabilities (e.g., mortgage,
car payment), you should include estimates for those accounts as well.

To see the actual spend column, go to Reports > Budget > Budget Report and
make sure Options > Display > Show Actual is checked.

To see difference columns, Options > Display > Show Difference.

You can then save the report for quicker access later.

The budgeting feature is not great, but it is serviceable. If you want to
do more with the data, you can export to HTML and import into a spreadsheet.