Invoices/Receipts and PayPal fees

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 10:30:33 EST 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 7:36 AM, Jill Terry <jill at babrees.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks, also to Wm for his response.
>
> So, I'm doing this as suggested, entering direct into the bank/paypal
> account, and this seems to have solved the problem. However, when I have a
> lot of cheques to pay into the bank, what is the best way to do that.
>
> Is it best to enter them into Assets > Accounts Receivable and then once
> ready to pay in to the bank do a transaction from AR to bank?
>
> Cheers
> Jill

I recommend you AVOID entering anything directly into the Accounts
Receivable account. GnuCash has special code and the entries do odd things.

For all the entities I manage that receive checks, I have a special Asset
account called "Checks Received." Every check I receive goes into that
account, with its split account denoting which income account it applies
to. For my purposes, the date on each check is almost always the date the
funds get applied to its income account.

When I have a stack of checks to take to the bank, I open the register for
the bank account and create a Deposit transaction, with a split entry for
each check, drawing that check's funds out of the Checks Received account.
Entering the split transaction is slightly painful making sure the debits
and credits (left and right columns) are correct, but you'll know you have
them right when the Checks Received account goes to zero and the deposit
increases the balance in the bank account.

With some trouble I was able to create a special Deposit Report that list
the checks assembled and the deposit amount, but alas, the bank prefers
their own MICR encoded forms and I haven't gone 'the extra mile' to figure
out how to print one the bank can use.