trouble with date when importing a just exported csv file.

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 15:22:35 EST 2015

Sat, 31 Jan 2015 12:55:57
<CA+E35_61oS10nMfjJ1+mbjGpvfo_wJoGFYpoOo=Xk8Dte8ET1Q at mail.gmail.com>
Edward Doolittle <edward.doolittle at gmail.com>

>I agree with others that price is not necessarily the best thing to focus

>on here. Imagine you have a transaction in which you purchase 100 shares of

>AAPL for $1180.00. Your cash account goes down by $1180.00, and your AAPL

>account balance increases by 100; that is all. The price data is used in

>some intermediate calculations but is not present in the transaction. The

>price data can be stored in another location but it's not in the accounts

>themselves so probably shouldn't be part of the import.

Larry

Also, if the broker retains a bit of cash (your instruction was to buy
$N of STOCK_A and the number didn't work out whole) how are you going to
record that asset?  Is it an asset if you know it is going to be offset
against the cost of your next trade?

Most brokers send tax statements to those that need them, I suggest that
is the time for adjustments rather than on a day to day basis.

Use gnc to get an idea of the value of your portfolio, my reasoning is
that you or I as individuals are unlikely to get open market prices on
stock or currency trades plus open markets have costs per trade and so
on anyway, prices on the 'net or in the financial pages of your
newspaper are just indicative.

The amounts of money going in and out of our various individual accounts
are known and gnc is excellent at recording and accounting for that,
record one or other of price or quantity but do yourself a favour and
don't try all 3.  You'll spend lonely nights with a calculator rather
than whatever it is Larry's do for enjoyment of an evening :)

--
Wm...