trouble with date when importing a just exported csv file.

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 20:16:41 EST 2015

Sat, 31 Jan 2015 10:57:33 <maj1hu$adt$1 at ger.gmane.org>  Larry Evans
<cppljevans at suddenlink.net>

>Thank you for the explanation, Wm.

What for? We're 30 messages in and you don't seem to have got it.

Clearly I or we are doing it wrong, otherwise you'd have realised by
now.

>However, my aim was to make the import process mirror the interactive
>entry of a transaction as done in the "Checkbook-Style Register":
>
>http://www.gnucash.org/features.phtml#main-feat

did you get this far?
===
QIF and OFX Import

If you are migrating from other financial software, GnuCash can import
Intuit® Quicken® QIF files using a practical assistant.

GnuCash is also the first free software application to support the OFX
(Open Financial Exchange) protocol that many banks and financial
services are starting to use.

A transaction matching system ensures that duplicate transactions are
accurately recognized and automatically deleted during file import.
===

Your original request is still in the Subject: you wanted a round trip.

There are some reasons why an exact round trip isn't possible, for
example, duplicate transactions need some care.

>And the actual register used would depend on which account was being
>used as the target of the import.  IOW, for a stock, it would be
>as shown in the 8.7.1 Example here:
>
>http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/invest-sell1.html#idm24
>2253328896

You are JamesTK AICMFP :(

Yes, and around here you started having problems with import formats
IIRC

>Or, in the particular case in this thread, like that shown here:
>
>http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/attachments/20150129/9f
>0f0f99/attachment-0003.png

fx:scratches head, that is a composite, two transactions, import to bank
other leg to matching asset, you should be able to assign the other
value and let gnc calc the 3rd

>IOW, if, instead of the column types choices being as shown in:
>
>http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/attachments/20150129/9f
>0f0f99/attachment-0002.png
>
>they were:
>
>  None
>  Date
>  Num
>  Description
>  Transfer
>  Shares
>  Price
>  Buy
>  Sell
>  Balance

Woah! You have looked at the QIF import haven't you?

Please tell me you do actually have reading ability.

>Then the import would behave similar to the register, except it wouldn't
>be interactive.  For example, if all fields except:
>
>  Num, R, Buy, Sell, Balance
>
>were specified, then the import would mirror the interactive input to
>the register.

We know the round trip isn't perfect.  But it is a lot closer to
perfection than your mangling of it :(

i.e. I can do it, Seb can probably do it and seniors can do it if they
want to but you need to know what you are doing and, like most
accounting software, the impetus is getting things in in a sensible way

what is your motivation for the round trip?

See my grim promise below.

>This is what was proposed on the devel list here:
>
>http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2015-January/038489.html
>
>IOW, if it can be done in the register, it can be done in a similar way
>in the import.

OK, one of us has a language problem, actually it is probably more a
logic problem.

Do you really, really look at what you said immediately above and not
see a disjoint between your request and what you expect ?

If you ask someone to bend over do you expect them to do that in real
life?

Liz: I'm holding back, promise

--
Wm...