problem with getting Finance::Quote

Dave H hellvee at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 18:28:53 EST 2015

Stephen,

1. Download and install 2.6.5 from http://www.gnucash.org/ - it's a lot
better than 2.6.4 which is buggy...

2. Check the wiki at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows#Finance::Quote -
it will tell you you don't have to download perl separately - see below...
 Finance::Quote

For the retrieval of Online Quotes
<http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes>, you will need to install Perl
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl> and Finance::Quote (F::Q). The way to
do this is slightly different depending on the version of GnuCash.
 GnuCash 2.5 and more recent

Everything is done for you by running the "Install Online Price Retrieval"
command. You can find this in the Windows start menu under the GnuCash
group. This will install Strawberry perl
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Perl> and all the perl modules
required to run Finance::Quote.
This is probably not Ok for Windows 8/8.1 however as you may not have the
Start >> Programs menu available - one of my laptops has a third party
Start >> Programs the other one doesn't.

I think from memory I either went directly to C:\Program Files
(x86)\gnucash\bin, found the "install-fq-mods.cmd" script and probably
right clicked on it and selected "Run as Administrator" to actually run it

OR

I probably clicked the Windows Start Icon in the bottom left of the desktop
and when the start screen/icons came up just started typing "Install Online
Price Retrieval" on the Start page.  you should only need to type "Install"
for it to show up.  When it displayed in the search results right clicked
on it and selected "Run as Administrator" to actually run it - I am not
sure which method I used at this point in time.

Please remember to CC this list on all your replies - You can do this by
using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Cheers Dave H.