Win OS reinstall looses Program files including logs - GCM file found

Mary Ann Wallace wallace at naples.net
Sat Jan 31 22:08:49 EST 2015

Facts:  Gnucash v.2.6.3 originally installed on Win 7 Pro 32-bit (X84)
laptop.  Hard disk failed 7/2014, but an image of the disk was created
and shows all logs and data through that date.  Program files and data
were also able to be copied over to an external drive and loaded onto a
Win XP substitute computer which was used for Gnucash until 1/16/2015
when the XP OS failed without having an image backup.  Extensive travel
delayed repairs and both the Win7 & and XP were repaired this past
week.  The Win 7, with a new hard drive and Acronis image backup
restored Gnucash with all the program files and logs up to the last
6/25/14 log.  Unfortunately, the XP OS that had later data was
re-installed and the process deleted all program files not originally on
the OS and because the logs were saved in C/Program Files, these are
gone.  The only remaining files are GCM files located in Documents and
Settings under .gnucash.  The last entries were done on 01/06/2015 and
this file exists:  gnuxmlaacounts.gnucash.20140917001406.gnucash.gcm
dated 01/06/2015, 6kb.

The manual says nothing about GCM extension files.  I found a program,
Dolphin, that handles GCM but this appears to be for video games.  When
I tried to click on the above file, I got an error message saying "No
suitable backend was found for the file." Gnucash would not open the
file.  I downloaded Dolphin, but have no idea how to use it or if I
should. I can't find anything in the manual under backing up and
recovering data that applies to my situation.

It was my mistake not verifying more closely where my logs were being
saved on the XP.  I thought they were being saved on an external hard
drive since I started the program from there. Instead, I found too late
that they were on the C drive in Program Files.

I do not know programming, although I can follow directions to edit
registries and the like.  I am a retired CPA/accounting instructor. I
love Gnucash and was delighted to have found it after being totally
frustrated with using Quicken.  It's based on sound accounting
principles and you make adjustments like you would in regular
accounting.  I thank the developers for developing this program.

1) Is there any way that this GCM file might contain the "image" of
everything I've done up to the last date, 1/06/2015 and any way of
restoring it to a log or other type of Gnucash file that the Gnucash.exe
program would read?  The Win7 is now back in operation has everything up
until July, 2014 and I've copied the .gnucash with GCM file in /books;
/checks; /translog from XP to Win7. (checks and translog are empty). Any
hope?

2) Also, can important data logs be saved to Documents and Settings and
run from there rather than C:/Program Files for easier backup?
Apparently, in restoring Windows, users need to be aware that data files
saved in C:/Program Files will be lost and diligence is required in
backing them up.

3) I notice each time Gnucash is started, whether or not anything is
done, a GCM file appears with the current date in Documents and Settings
and 3kb in size: gnuxmlaacounts.gnucash.gcm.  What is the purpose of
these files?

Yes, I have pages of printouts and could painstakingly and with many
days recreate over 6 months of data with the files I have on the Win7 as
a last resort.  I'm hoping there might be another solution. Thank you
for any suggestions and help.

Mary Ann

---