Errors Importing QIF and CSV Files

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jul 2 13:58:59 EDT 2015

> On Jul 2, 2015, at 10:36 AM, Bob B. <imthefunone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If this is the wrong email list for asking this question, please direct me
> to the right place.
>
> I'm trying to import credit card transactions I downloaded from my credit
> card's web site. I've tried both QIF and CSV formats and GnuCash tells me
> there is an error in the file and then crashes.
>
> I've looked at the files in Notepad and they seem to be perfectly fine.
> They also seem to be structured the same way as QIF files I successfully
> imported about 6 months ago.
>
> Can you tell me if this is a known bug or tell me what I need to do to be
> able to import QIF or CSV files?
>
> OS: Win 7
> GnuCash Version: 2.6.7

Yeah, it’s the wrong list. This one is for developers working on GnuCash code. You want gnucash-users, and I’ve redirected my reply there for your convenience. You’ll need to subscribe there to post, just as you did here, and you might want to unsubscribe here depending on your tolerance for technical programming discussions.

The first thing is to be sure that they’re either QIF or CSV files, a mutually exclusive distinction. A third possibility is OFX/QFX, which is the same format but the latter name is used by Intuit to assuage their not-invented-here syndrome. Most websites will assign an appropriate extension indicating which format a file uses, but you might need to enable showing extensions in Windows Explorer in order to see it.

Regards,
John Ralls