tracking bank service charges

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Jul 2 16:04:11 EDT 2015

On Thu 2 July 15 12:27:11 gg wrote:
> The problem for me is how to match a single bank account to many gnucash
> ones.
>
> Default configuration has a Checking Account under Current Assets, I suppose
> it is the bank account, am I right?
>
> The sales are registered as Income->Sales in the gnucash, they appear
> immediatelly in my real life bank account, so should I transfer them from
> Sales to gnucash Checking account manually? Otherwise (with no transaction
> from Sales to Checking) all recieved money are reflected in Current Assets
> account but it is impossible to pay expenses directly from Current Assets.

Hi,

Use the default configuration as a starting point only. You *will* need to
tweak it to suit your own personal situation

If you have 2 checking accounts, 3 savings accounts and a couple of credit
cards and a loan, then you need to manually create them.

Every account that you have in the real would should be modelled in GC.

Your accounts tree might look something like

Assets:
    Bank Checking 1
    Bank Checking 2
    Savings
        Savings1
        RainyDaySavings2
        HighInterestSavings3

Liabilities
     CreditCards
          Amex1
           Visa2
    Loans
          CarLoan
          Mortgage

Income
    Sub-accounts

Expense
     Sub-accounts

Equity
   Opening Balances

Usually, any transaction will affect 2 accounts.
So Income:Sales -> Asset:Bank:Checking1 sounds correct

Assets:Bank:Checking1 > Bank:Savings:HighInterest3 would cover the case where
you save some money away

Assets:Bank:Checking2 -> Expenses:BankFees:ForexCommission might suit the fees
the bank charges when you get some foreign currency converted.

Maybe you should take a look at the tutorial & concepts guides on the website?

HTH,
Maf.