Sort transactions by date within a day

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Jul 3 03:22:37 EDT 2015

On Thursday 02 July 2015 23:40:22 GT-I9070 H wrote:
> > http://code.gnucash.org/docs/head
> >
> > The function comments are reasonably up to date but some of the
> > module descriptions and additional matter needs work.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > I don't dominate C, Python or Scheme. I'm not a developer, I'm an
> > enthusiastic and there are limits to what I'm willing to do. If
> > complicate a lot I abandoned the idea and seek another path.
> >

> > dominate?
> >
> > Have you done any programming at all? If so, in what languages? What
> > sort of XML experience do you have?
>
> I program from the first programmable HP calculators and came to give
> HP calculators programming classes at this time of university.
> Since then I became an enthusiast, I program when I need to.
> As I said earlier VB/VBA by choice. What I don't said: A little Java.
> The languages I learned at university I even forgot but logic not.

Hi GTI,

In the end you are free to do whatever you like of course. If you are
most experienced in VB/VBA, I understand that is your preferred language
to solve your needs.

Going that route you will however immediately loose the interest of most
people that are most likely able to help you...

VB/VBA is a Windows only thing while gnucash is a cross-platform
application. I guess your preferred platform is Windows, otherwise
VB/VBA would not have been your language of choice :)

There is not much I can add here. John already explained why we insist
on using the API's we offer.

One possible other motivation could be that gnucash is a community
effort and we try to leverage this as much as possible. So if someone
writes an improvement and is willing to share it, we gladly include it
in the project as a whole. For this to be possible, it must be written
in a language that is universally available wherever we support
installing gnucash and should really use the gnucash engine code to
modify data.

I'll add that unfortunately Windows is by far the most difficult
platform to develop for gnucash on. The python bindings are not
available and building the C code is ... clumsy and slow.

So I'm not sure what would be your best route. Good luck.

Regards,

Geert