Sort transactions by date within a day

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Jul 4 03:49:03 EDT 2015

Hi GTI,

On Friday 03 July 2015 23:56:12 GT-I9070 H wrote:
> > Hi GTI,
>
> Hi Geert,
>
> Thanks for your attention!
>
> You spoke with propriety and spoke very well. I understood your
> thinking on community and motivations, you made me feel what it's
> thinking as a community!
>
> > In the end you are free to do whatever you like of course. If you
> > are
> > most experienced in VB/VBA, I understand that is your preferred
> > language to solve your needs.
> >
> > Going that route you will however immediately loose the interest of
> > most people that are most likely able to help you...
>
> I'm sorry to have frustrated the not-Windows community when I opted
> for Windows and VB/VBA.

"Frustrated" is not my word. I merely pointed out that VB/VBA is less
interesting for the gnucash project because it's not multi-platform so
the developers (none of which works on Windows) are unlikely to be
interested in it in the gnucash context.

> If I knew anyone care that my choice maybe I would not have done. At
> the time I almost chose C.

That would indeed have been great.

> I never thought about being a developer, I never thought as a
> cross-platform community, I hope not too late.

It never is :)

> I understand that people would have more motivation to help me if they
> had the hope of being able to benefit from my code, but I hope they
> have other motivations to help others.

There is a lot of goodwill in the gnucash community. So if people can
help you they most likely will. Your language of choice only limits the
amount of shared community experience available.

And let me add that my reservation is as much about trying to alter the
data behind the gnucash core's back than it is about the language.

By doing so you're neglecting more than 20 years of effort to guarantee
consistent data. Please don't underestimate the value of that.

> > VB/VBA is a Windows only thing while gnucash is a cross-platform
> > application. I guess your preferred platform is Windows, otherwise
> > VB/VBA would not have been your language of choice :)
>
> Surely. You're right again.
> The number of Win users is much higher.
> I've worked with UNIX but never fascinated me.
> You know how we are, we like beautiful things even if the times are
> not the most functional.

The relative beauty of Windows vs Unix/Linux/OS X is debatable, but
that's not the topic of this thread ;)

> > There is not much I can add here. John already explained why we
> > insist on using the API's we offer.
> >
> > One possible other motivation could be that gnucash is a community
> > effort and we try to leverage this as much as possible. So if
> > someone
> > writes an improvement and is willing to share it, we gladly include
> > it in the project as a whole. For this to be possible, it must be
> > written in a language that is universally available wherever we
> > support installing gnucash and should really use the gnucash engine
> > code to modify data.
>
> As you said, VB/VBA is not a universal language. I'm sorry I can not
> help with improvements.
>
> I understood, John explained very well technically but I think you
> explained better, you explained humanly the importance of Commity
> thinking.
>
> Frankly I came here thinking to integrate me as a user and not as a
> developer.

That's fine. Not everybody has to be a developer to be part of the
gnucash community. We have several very active community members that
reply to questions on the list, report bugs, submit translations,...
There are plenty of ways to make yourself useful with relatively little
effort.

> I will help as I can, perhaps, if I be proud of something I
> wrote (Only VB/VBA), I will share. At this point the only thing I
> have is an Excel exporter to QIF very customized.
I haven't followed the complete thread... Is this is self-written or did
you use xl2qif [1] ? There is also calc2qif [2] for openoffice users by
the way...

> There began the
> problems to enter the exchange rate in GnuCash what made me think
> about writing directly into the GnuCash XML data file.
>
> I plan to write a GnuCash exporting to Excel to close the circle, this
> I need to write to feel freer and more comfortable.
>
> If anyone knows one ready and free, please inform and spare me this
> job.

Excel can directly import csv files and gnucash can export to csv. What
more do you need ?

Regards,

Geert

[1] http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php