Where does Gnucash save it backup files when using mysql data source

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Jul 5 14:59:22 EDT 2015

On Saturday 04 July 2015 18:10:00 L. D. James wrote:
> I have found the backups of gnucash to be very invaluable.  In order
> to facilitate a client with their accounting (access from home and
> work) I'm exploring the mysql data feature.
>
> I'm having problems locating where the backups are stored.  Can
> someone help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- L. James

When using the mysql backend there are no backups. I've read part of
your motivations on why you would like to have them, but it just wasn't
implemented.

It's also pretty hard to do. Not everybody controls the mysql server
that is used to store the gnucash data. So automatically creating new
databases as backups for the main database are not always
possible/desired. Copying databases takes a lot of time also. Combine
this with the fact that the sql backend writes on change this would mean
that a new backup has to be made for each change you make. That would
cause A LOT of database overhead.

So the automatic backups were not implemented. The idea back then was
that if you are using mysql you probably are proficient enough in system
administration to manage backups yourself.

Regards,

Geert