GnuCash Income - How to manage?

Samuel Holmes samuel.holmes6 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 15:41:00 EDT 2015

Ok, I think I have figured it out!  What I have done is this:

I have a number of accounts:

1. Opening Balances - used to store the opening balances of my Savings and
Bank accounts at the start of the accounting period.
2. Current Account - my bank account.
3. Savings Account - my savings account.
4. Income - all income (from employment, gifts etc. divided into
subcategories).
5. Expenses - all expenses (divided into subcategories)

Now, let's assume I pay a bill for £100.  I go:

Current Account: Transfer to Expenses, Withdrawal of £100.

This creates an entry in Current account and Expenses.  No imbalances (all
good).

Now suppose I want to record earnings from work, etc.  I go:

Current Account Transfer from Income, Deposit of £250.

This creates an entry in Current account and Income.  No imbalances!

So yes, I think I have cracked it.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.