Bayesian matching- Imbalance

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jul 14 12:10:54 EDT 2015

> On Jul 14, 2015, at 8:32 AM, C <Peace at AleksandrSolzhenitsyn.net> wrote:
>
> I'm running- GnuCash r21973 on 2013-01-03 on Linux.
>
> When importing a QFX file into my credit card account many of the
> imported transactions are "matched" incorrectly. For example; "Sunoco
> Car fuel" ends up in the transfer column with the name Expense: Food
> which is incorrect.
>
> The Bayesian matching is set but I don't know what the proper levels are
> to be set to...or whether that'll solve any problems.
>
> Many of the imported QFX transactions end up in the "Imbalanced USD"
> account.
>
> Fixing this stuff takes way too much time.
>
> Do you have any idea what should be done and how to fix matching so the
> purchases are correctly labeled in the "transfer" column?

You have to train, or perhaps retrain, the Bayesian matcher. That means reviewing and correcting the transfer accounts every time you do an import before accepting the matches. Depending on the variability of the descriptions and how long you’ve allowed the bad matches to persist it may take many imports worth of corrections to overcome the bad scores. There’s no “clear the history” button implemented to let you start over from scratch.

Another complication is that the original implementor made a bad design decision: The Bayesian matcher stores the account name rather than its GUID, so account name changes will produce invalid matches until the scores for the old names are overcome by higher scores on the new name.

The thresholds are explained in the help manual: http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/set-prefs.html#prefs-online
I don’t think that changing them will help when the match database has high scores for incorrect matches.

Regards,
John Ralls