Is there a difference between creating a new customer and new account?

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Mon Jul 20 10:12:16 EDT 2015

On 07/20/2015 09:54 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 20 July 2015 at 14:12, L. D. James <ljames at apollo3.com> wrote:
>> When showing my client to use Gnucash, I used the words, create a new
>> customer.  The client used "Gnucash's" procedure to create a new customer to
>> enter a name, "John Doe" in the system.  Then she said, I created a new
>> account.  My question was, can that word "account" be used in that sense.  I
>> don't know if anyone fully understands what my question was.  But I tried to
>> clarify it to the people giving input.
> I think your initial question may have been misunderstood, I think it
> was taken to mean that your client had actually created a new gnucash
> account rather than a gnucash customer.  I believe the confusion here
> shows that you are definitely better off keeping the word account to
> mean a gnucash account, not a customer, at least in the context of
> gnucash.
>
> Colin

Colin.  Thanks for helping the clarify my question.  That was it
exactly.  I also took from the responses that making reference to
accounts to refer to the actual gnucash account was what I did.  I
didn't know how to put it in those very specific terms, but that was
exactly what I was looking for.  I was also looking for a way to
actually put it in specific terms, which now I have.

By the way, all the other points are very important and I appreciate all
the accounting tips that were provided in this thread.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames at apollo3.com