Split transaction and figure 4.1 in the guide

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 12:04:23 EDT 2015

[I reordered the thread so I could bottom-post. see my reply at the end.]

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Denis <denis4433 at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> I was hoping for some kind of "dummy account" that would not interfere
> with Gnucast regular accounts and where all the amounts of those
> "Before tax" would accumulate. It was only something I was hopping
> for.
>
> Even if this is not possible Gnucast is still the best software I
> found after fifteen year of Quicken.
>
> Den

I recommend you spend a few minutes entering the transactions *as if* you
had accumulated a few months of them -- I don't really understand why you
need "dummy accounts" when it sounds like the ACTUAL accounts will contain
the information you're looking for.

ALSO I would like to point out that even though the example accounts
resemble something "regular," there's nothing special about them, except
they match the documentation. You can rename or reorder the accounts to
suit you, even after you have been using them for awhile. GnuCash can
automatically create a fresh set of accounts for you, but it's only to help
you get started.

Go ahead... go crazy! Try some of the examples in the documentation, and
enter some more data to see what happens with the totals and the reports.
THEN when you're more comfortable, create a new set of accounts from
scratch that match your actual situation.