Turn off the copy a transaction

Sean Porterfield gnc20150530 at sf.porterfield.net
Sat Jul 25 15:29:55 EDT 2015

On 07/25/15 14:57, John R. Sowden wrote:
> I am attempting to learn how to enter transactions in gc.  The
> background features of changing data as I enter things is frustrating,
> but I am now trying to follow the inst in the help system.  There is a
> 'feature' that copies an existing transaction to the one being entered
> if the name matches.  Unfortunately this means that the transaction must
> then be edited, unless , for example, all employees get the same wage
> with deductions every payday (usually not the case).  Can  this be
> turned off?  I did not see it in Preferences.

It sounds like you're talking about the autofill feature.  I don't think
there is a preference to disable that, but there is a feature request:
http://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/1568131-provide-per-transaction-cancel-of-autofill-with-e

The way I see it, though, you either have it autofill and you correct
what is different, or you have to key it all manually every time.  In
your example with pay, wouldn't every employee have a similar set of
accounts with entries?  (I've never keyed the employer side, so I'm not
entirely certain what would be recorded there.)  I know when I record my
pay, the accounts are the same and only the amounts differ each pay period.

Your other choice is to use the duplicate transaction feature for a
previous entry, then you'll be getting the employee you want rather than
the last one found.
-----
Sean Porterfield