Lost Checks - No Payee - Best Practice

Eric Siegerman pub08-gnc at davor.org
Mon Jun 1 23:14:08 EDT 2015

On 06/01/2015 09:11 PM, Milton Stern wrote:
 > As you suggested, I was considering not recording the checks at all.
 > But, I thought that the registers would be an good way of tracking if the
 > missing checks are ever used fraudulently?

The requisite I Am Not An Accountant caveat.  That said...

One possibility would be to create a "Lost Checks" account, of type
Expense, specifically for this purpose.  Then record each check from the
missing batch as a $0.00 "expense" -- credit the checking account as you
normally would, and debit Lost Checks.

Obviously, my suggested name, Lost Checks, is just that -- a
suggestion.  Use whatever name makes most sense to you.

As for the account's type, I don't think there's an obviously correct
choice.  Any way of entering these zero-amount transactions feels like
somewhat an abuse of the double-entry paradigm, which is designed to
record things that *did* happen, not things that didn't :-)  But under
the circumstances, a debit account feels like a less-bad fit than a
credit account would.  That means a choice between Asset and Expense,
and again, the latter feels like a better fit.  But that's only my
opinion; yours may well differ.

I don't suppose the account type much matters to GnuCash, since the
account will always have a zero balance anyway.  What's important, then,
is doing something that you (and your accountant, if any) will find
least confusing, months or years down the road when you've long
forgotten the details.

(Speaking of forgetting the details, I'd recommend writing a thorough
explanation in the Lost Checks account's "notes" field -- and a
"pointer" to it in the "description" field.  Go into so much detail that
you're sure you're going totally overboard :-)  Your future self will
thank you!)

   - Eric