register position after entering a split

Sean Porterfield gnc20150530 at sf.porterfield.net
Sun Jun 7 17:04:52 EDT 2015

On 06/07/15 15:15, Wm wrote:
> Sun, 7 Jun 2015 11:51:36 <55746888.5060802 at sf.porterfield.net>  Sean
> Porterfield <gnc20150530 at sf.porterfield.net>
>
>> Is there any rhyme or reason that explains why sometimes adding a
>> transaction positions me to that transaction and other times it stays at
>> the blank at the bottom?
>
> Yes, but it isn't always obvious

Of course, it's software, so the question was foolishly stated.  Better
might have been, "When I add a new transaction, what determines the
cursor position afterward?  Sometimes it is in the blank transaction at
the bottom; sometimes it is in the split of the transaction I just added."

>> The first theory I reached was that deleting an existing split line
>> (from the previous transaction that auto-filled) is what caused the
>> position change, but I entered one like that that left the selection in
>> the bottom blank.
>
> You say "one" above so I'm guessing you haven't tried many combinations.

I say "one" because it only takes one time of a different result to
prove the theory is wrong.

> Generally arrow and tab keys keep you within a split transaction.  Enter
> and the buttons are your way of saying "I'm done with this transaction
> for now", you can always go back to it later, of course.

I feel that last part of you reply means you did not understand my
question.  In every case, I am adding a new transaction to the register.
 In every case, I am finished with the adding of the transaction and
intend to have it saved.  In some cases, my register scrolls up to the
transaction that was just added - after it is saved.  To enter a new
transaction, I need to scroll back down or press the button to go to the
blank transaction.  In other cases, I am looking at the blank
transaction at the bottom, ready to enter another transaction without
having to reposition the register.

>> So far, I've only noticed it after clicking the split button.  If the
>> transaction is going all to one account, it seems to stay at the blank.

> I think you aren't distinguishing the behaviour "inside" a split
> transaction from that "outside" of one.

If I'm not, it's only due to the way I worded or left out details.  I
said I have only see the repositioning if I'm adding a transaction with
splits.  If I add a transaction with just one account (other than the
one for the register I'm in) it always seems to leave me at the blank
transaction and never scrolls up to the transaction I just added.
--
Sean Porterfield