register position after entering a split

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 7 15:15:06 EDT 2015

Sun, 7 Jun 2015 11:51:36 <55746888.5060802 at sf.porterfield.net>  Sean
Porterfield <gnc20150530 at sf.porterfield.net>

>Is there any rhyme or reason that explains why sometimes adding a
>transaction positions me to that transaction and other times it stays at
>the blank at the bottom?

Yes, but it isn't always obvious

>The first theory I reached was that deleting an existing split line
>(from the previous transaction that auto-filled) is what caused the
>position change, but I entered one like that that left the selection in
>the bottom blank.

You say "one" above so I'm guessing you haven't tried many combinations.

Generally arrow and tab keys keep you within a split transaction.  Enter
and the buttons are your way of saying "I'm done with this transaction
for now", you can always go back to it later, of course.

>So far, I've only noticed it after clicking the split button.  If the
>transaction is going all to one account, it seems to stay at the blank.
> When using the split, it doesn't seem to matter if I press enter, click
>the "Record the current transaction" button or use the arrow key to move
>off.

Now would be a good time to run Actions / Check & Repair to see if
you've formed any bum transactions

You don't want any oddities at the top level

>  Other than an arrow down positions me on the transaction after the
>one I just entered instead of in the new transaction.

If I'm looking at an account I use the "blank" button to locate myself.

>It's not a big deal; I can click the arrow to go to the blank
>transaction to enter the next one.  I'm just trying to figure out if
>there is a secret I missed or something I can do in a particular way to
>may it behave consistently.

I think you aren't distinguishing the behaviour "inside" a split
transaction from that "outside" of one.

Feel free to ask some more if I've misunderstood.

--
Wm...