best way to model individual+joint expenses in Gnucash?

Wm wm+gnc at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 12 05:19:07 EDT 2015

Sat, 6 Jun 2015 15:42:07 <55735B1F.60005 at tlcnet.info>  Tracey
<tclark77 at tlcnet.info>

>I'm in a similar situation as James, having to keep track of a joint
>checking account and joint expenses for my boyfriend and myself.

OK, can either of you write a cheque or withdraw the entire balance of
the account from a bank machine or similarly just grab all the money?

If so your basis is trust.

> I'm
>hoping to see some advice on best practices as well, as I've not yet
>come up with an easy or elegant way of setting up accounts to track this.

We can only do advice about accounts and drift into personal stuff.

>Wm - It was difficult to separate your replies from the original text.
>It seems that when you composed your message the reply formatting was lost.

Yes, not my fault, I use a strict client.  Good news, your is better, so
my reply is better too.

>What I did see was disappointing. Insulting James and his lifestyle was
>uncalled for. He didn't ask for, and doesn't need relationship advice.

He shouldn't have put it before the world, in that case.

I also think you should mark the difference between disagree about
financial arrangements and insult.

>From my own research on the web, there are plenty of people who have a
>spouse or roommate, with a joint checking account to pay bills out of
>who have asked the same kinds of questions.

Sure, ask away.  A combined account (each pay GBP / USD / EU / n per
month, pay all bills from that) makes sense so long as you all trust
each other and no person defaults.

However here in the UK a guarantor may be required and that person may
be responsible.  In other countries it may be different.

>When we help each other politely, we all benefit.

Definitely.

Feel free to ask more, but be aware you can't be guaranteed a legally
correct answer about your exact circumstances about this in this place.

So, to some extent, I ask, why ask here?  We can tell you the splits,
sure.

I have a broad interest in equitable accounts and so on.  I don't think
gnc is the absolute best form, e.g. I think ledger does it slightly
better if you are prepared to play with them folks.

--
Wm...