Scheduled Transactions / Since Last Run: Entry only selected transactions

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 12:14:40 EDT 2015

On 6/16/2015 7:24 PM, Old Samurai wrote:
> Hello there,I am new to GNU and so far I like it a lot!However, I need some help with the Scheduled Transactions.
> Basically I want to enter manually the transactions when I want, regardless of the exact "Next Occurrence Date" (I have the Scheduled Transactions set only as Reminders).
> Let's say it shows 2 bills to be entered today. However, I want to pay only one of them now and leave the other for next week.
> It seems that if I select the one I want to pay when I click OK, both bills are shown on the list of bills paid. The transactions are already entered in GNU register and now the Scheduled Transactions show that the bills are due next month.
> Also, part of the same issue is that let's say I have a bill due next week, but I will be out of town and I want to pay it now.I go to the "Since Last Run" window, I select the bill, click on OK but nothing happens. It seems it is not letting me pay the bill in advance.
> Is there a way to enter one bill at the time, regardless of the Next Occurrence date?To me this would be an essential feature therefore I am open to any ideas on how to make this work, or any ideas to work around it.
> Thank you guys for your time and help!

I am surprised that nobody has responded to this yet.

The Since Last Run assistant is somewhat clunky and there are several
bug reports and suggestions for improvement that have languished because
there are limited developer resources and those resources are being
applied in other areas right now.  There are work-arounds for most
issues which other users have found.

Generally, one work-around is to set a reminder with an early value
large enough to satisfy your particular requirements for that case.
Another that I have done in a few cases is to create a bogus transaction
entry that is created early but serves only as a placeholder until the
real transaction entry can be created.  I do that for utility bills that
vary each month.

You may also be confused about how reminder status works.  The help
information (which is not accessible from inside the SLR window) is
vague.  If any of the create automatically boxes are checked for a given
scheduled transaction they can override the reminder status and result
in an undesired transaction entry creation.  To enter a transaction that
has a reminder status, you need to click on the reminder and change it
to To Create for that transaction to be created when you finally do
click OK.  However, if the scheduled date is today or in the past, that
transaction with the reminder status will be created anyway when the OK
button is clicked.  In some older versions of GnuCash, the Postpone
status did not work correctly, and I am not sure whether that has been
fixed, I never use it.

Also, creating the transaction in GnuCash does not actually make the
real payment happen, you still need to write the check or log in to your
bank website or the payee website, or whatever to do that.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them here.  Other
users or developers are usually here and able to help.  The chat page
also usually has developers watching.  I use that myself from time to
time.  Chatzilla is a nice client for that.

David C