Finance Quote Update on Macbook Pro (OSX 10.10.3)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jun 22 10:31:02 EDT 2015

> On Jun 22, 2015, at 1:29 AM, Rene Hasekamp <hasekamp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Op zondag 21 jun. 2015 om 4:58 PM schreef Richard Ullger <rullger at gmail.com>:
>

> On 21/06/15 13:29, hasekamp at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> I am trying to get acquainted with gnucash on my Macbook Pro. The manual helps me out with most problems, but I really do not have any grip on FinanceQuote Update.
>>

>> I ran the script, and many files were installed. When I run it again it says that everything is up-to-date.
>> Well, thank you very much that is helpful and reassuring!
>> But in fact nothing happens to my finance quotes. Every stock only has the one quote I entered when I created the account for it.
>>

>> When I click the “update quotes” button from the "edit quotes" screen, I get the very helpful message “system error". Wow! that really helps.
>>

>> Originally I did not have Xcode installed, but I tried that after all. So I installed the 4 GB of - to me - useless code, but there was no option to install te command line tools from within Xcode, as the gnu cash FAQ suggests for thew Mac.
>>

>> I nevertheless tried to run Finance Quote Update with Xcode installed, but I received the same reassuring message that everything was up to date, and I received not a single quote. Also from the “update quotes” screen I received the same message that there was a system error. That’s it.
>>

>> I uninstalled Xcode, because I am not interested in spending more than 4 GB of disk space, without any use.
>>

>> The question that remains is: “How do I update my gnu cash quotes with Finance Quotes Update or from the “update quotes screen?”.
>>

>> Any help (other than installing Xcode again and install the not present command line tools) will be appreciated.
>>

>> Rene Hasekamp.
>
> Hi Rene,
>
> I can't help you directly on Mac but I run gnucash in ArchLinux and a
> recent update of perl-finance-quote from 1.35 to 1.37 produced the
> system error message when trying to update quotes from within gnucash.
>
> Running gnc-fq-dump from the command line produced the error that
> DateTime.pm could not be found. This file is provided by the package
> perl-datetime and installing this fixed the issue.
>
> Note that installing perl-datetime also brought in a further 25 perl
> dependencies.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard.
>
>> Yes this gives a possible cause. ​
> Thanks, Richard. ​
> ​Sadly I am not able to use this to get the updates work.
> Can one of the developers please react?

You can use it, though you don’t need all of DateTime, just its TimeZone and PP modules. Open Applications:Utilities:Terminal and at the prompt type

  sudo cpan -i DateTime::TimeZone DateTime::PP

Enter your password when prompted and answer “yes” to all subsequent questions.

To ensure that Finance::Quote is working after that, you can run

  /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-dump yahoo AAPL

Adjust the path if you put Gnucash somewhere other than Applications. You should get something like

Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: AAPL                 <=== required
      date: 06/22/2015           <=== required
  currency: USD                  <=== required
      last: 127.46               <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 127.46               <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

Erik Colson, the underlying problem would seem to be the CPAN dependency tree for F::Q. Can you confirm this and fix it?

Regards,
John Ralls