Sort transactions by date within a day

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 03:38:44 EDT 2015

> On 23 Jun 2015, at 04:13, GT-I9070 H <gti9070h at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Consider and to assume that not all who use GnuCash are accountants, but,
> they ALL, sure, are HUMAN.
>
> The colors and buttons of GnuCash GUI is probably not that important from
> accountants financial standpoint but still we can choose only by our liking
> and pleasure because we are HUMAN and we have feelings.
>
> I'm not an accountant, I do not get transactions in roles and write in
> GnuCash when and in the order I want. If I do not write a transaction at
> the time I forget and do not close the accounts and the order makes it much
> easier to understand cash flow and figure out what is missing or is
> wrong. And I have mistakes every week. The Transactions, where, what time,
> are like my personal life story!
>
> The first thing I did in the first contacts with GnuCash was to test and
> use a Nº field to sort the transactions, then, not know why, it stopped
> working for a while, so I started to use this field for other things.
>
> These days, I tested the sorting by a Nº field and sorting returned to
> work, also do not know why. But today I have ATM location (Where)
> information in this field.
>
> A field that is missing in transactions is the Location field (Where). Also
> is probably not that important from accountants financial standpoint, but
> it is very useful when we want to remember where we bought something, what
> price paid and want to buy again.
>
> Now, the second sort field (Nº) I use for ATM where I withdrew or bank
> check number. When I change configuration to use the Nº field of splits, I
> lose all other information in this field that had already been written.
>
> Regards
> GTI

I’ve been following this thread with some puzzlement, but now I think I know what you want!

1. You want to have a dedicated field within a transaction which holds the date and time when you entered the transaction.
2. You want to be able to read this field within Gnucash (as opposed to having it recorded “behind-the-scenes”).
3. You want to be able to sort transactions using this field.
4. You want to have a dedicated field which holds the location at which the transaction took place.
5. You want to be able to see this on the screen too, and presumably sort using it?

It’s not clear how precise you want to be about location - is it general (e.g. ATM, Bank, Shop, My Desk)? Or is it specific (ATM outside Tesco Store in Dundee)?

As none of these is currently available in Gnucash, you have two alternatives:

1. Extend Gnucash to provide these features (a: write the code yourself b: pay someone else to do it c: persuade the (volunteer) developers that these are important modifications, needed by many users).
2. Devise a way of using existing fields within Gnucash to achieve what you want.

Apparently you’ve tried 2. by using work-arounds, and haven’t succeeded.

It’s always helpful to strip a request for help down to its essentials - you may even find that stating your question clearly allows you to see the answer yourself.

Michael