GNUCash Import QIF - Help Please!

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 24 09:16:25 EDT 2015

Dear GTI,

GT-I9070 H <gti9070h at gmail.com> writes:

> Yes Atkins,

"Atkins" is my family name, my given name is "Derek".  This is, for
example, why I sign my messages "-derek" at the end every time.

> Are years of transaction before I start using GnuCash.
>
> Before I used a robust MS Excel spreadsheet with much code in VBA all made by
> me.
>
> You Devs could enable, even temporarily, some .qif field or another to import
> exchange rates for GnuCash exchange rate field!
>
> Please! [cid]

This is a volunteer, open source project.  If you want to see a feature
you're welcome to add it yourself, and if you think it's useful you're
welcome to even submit it back for inclusion.  However that would be a
message for gnucash-devel, not gnucash-user.

As far as I know, there is no space in the QIF import format for an
exchange rate.  If you could show us how Quicken would create such a
transaction (which would imply there *is* space in QIF for it) then we
could update the QIF importer to accept it.  But right now, there's just
no field in QIF that supplies an exchange rate for currency transactions
and re-using one would be wrong (as would be creating one out of thin
air).

Perhaps you might be better off just starting over?  Keep your
historical records where they are, and enter new data directly into
gnucash instead of trying to import them?